Extension and Learning Support
The opportunity for extension and support at Ringwood Secondary College is a dynamic feature of the teaching and learning program. Teacher flexibility and expertise allow for a rich program throughout the year.
ACE - Achievement, Commitment, Excellence - A program for high ability students.
The College ACE program for high achieving students is offered to students in Y 7 - 10.
The aim of the program is to engage and challenge high ability students to reach their full intellectual, social and emotional potential in an enriched educational program. It is offered to students who demonstrate academic skills above those of their peer group, are self-directed and strongly motivated to achieve academically.
- Accelerates the pace of learning in core subjects and add a broader range of enriching experiences
- Aligns to the Deep Learning educational model and focus on development of the six key competencies: creativity, character, citizenship, collaboration, communication and critical thinking Incorporate higher order thinking, problem solving and reflection as an integral process in student learning
- Encourages and supports a quick progression to skill mastery
- Makes provision for research and in-depth study
- Includes provision for the continuation of appropriate EAL (English as an Additional Language) support where required
- Students in the Year 9 ACE class undertake an enriched and rigorous curriculum for the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science and Humanities (History, Geography and Economics). The language offered for ACE students is French. It is expected that students undertake their language studies for a minimum of three years. For other subjects, students will participate in mainstream, mixed-ability classes.
The ACE class progresses into Years 9 & 10, where students continue to participate in a rigorous and challenging curriculum in their core subjects. In Year 9, students will also select elective studies as part of their program. In Year 10, students will have the opportunity to undertake one or two VCE subjects (Units 1 and 2). This will allow them to study one or two Year 12 studies (Units 3 and 4) in Year 11 and provide them with the opportunity to study a University Enhancement Study in Year 12.
For more details on the ACE program, please contact Mrs Annette Niven on 9870 2002.
Extension programs at Ringwood Secondary College cater to our students’ needs. Within the classroom, the curriculum delivery and modes of assessment are adjusted and monitored to cater to the abilities of students. Teachers are trained to identify students who require enrichment and enhancement and students are provided with opportunities to participate in a rich and varied extracurricular program.
Extension activities include:
- Art and Design competition
- Interschool Debating
- LOTE theatre excursions, restaurant trips, overseas language trips
- Maths competition
- Maths Enrichment challenge
- Poetry Activities
- Science competition
- Tournament of Minds
- Writer’s workshop
Literacy and Numeracy support is extended to Year 9 students with specialist classes designed to meet the learning needs of students.